Pregnancy Statistics Your Doctor Wants You to Know (2022)
Congrats your pregnancy! You truly are a superhero because you are growing a human inside of you. I’m sure you have lots of questions about all the changes in your body that you’re about to go thru and want the real pregnancy statistics. I always wanted to know was I apart of the majority, is it normal to experience one thing or another, and what was I to expect in the next coming trimesters.
As a physician and podcaster of the best pregnancy podcast called Pukeology, I answer all the 50,000 pregnant listeners questions live as though I was your best friend. Never feel uncomfortable asking this doctor anything, because I will give you the best up-to-date science from medical journals as to your pregnancy with a little comical relief added in. I promise, I’m not boring!
We are going to answer of these 10 most common pregnancy questions:
- In pregnancy when do you start showing?
- When do pregnancy cravings start?
- What are the most common pregnancy cravings?
- When does morning sickness start?
- When does morning sickness peak?
- When does morning sickness end?
- What helps with morning sickness?
- When do women start feeling the baby flutters?
- How many women experience nesting?
- Which trimester is the most difficult?
Let’s these pregnancy questions POP out, and get the best pregnancy advice directly from your favorite pregnant doctor.
In pregnancy when do you start showing?
1. When do you start showing in pregnancy?
- Depends on different factors
- 1st pregnancy takes longer to show
- If thin, pregnancy might show sooner
It depends on factors like if it's your first pregnancy and your pre-pregnancy weight. 74% of women believe they start looking visibly pregnant by their 3rd trimester!
Can you start showing at 8 weeks?
- Possible but not super likely
- 11% start showing in 1st trimester
- It's more likely that you'll start showing in your 2nd trimester
It's possible but not very likely. Through research I've found that 11% of women start to show at some point during their 1st trimester!
When will I start showing?
When does a baby bump first start to show?
- 11% start showing in 1st trimester
- 74% start showing in 2nd trimester
- 13% start showing in 3rd trimester
- 2% say they never looked pregnant
Most women, 74% will start to show during the 2nd trimester. 38.1% in the first half of the 2nd trimester 36.5% in the second half of the 2nd trimester
2. When do pregnancy cravings start?
When do pregnancy cravings start?
- 8% cravings start in the 1st trimester
- 9% cravings start in the 2nd trimester
- 3% cravings start in the 3rd trimester
Not all pregnant women get cravings. Most women who start to have cravings, have them in the very early on in the 1st trimester. 63.8% women had cravings in the first trimester.
What's the earliest pregnancy cravings start?
- Not all pregnant women get cravings.
- 8% cravings start in 1st trimester
- More than half of pregnancy cravings started very early in the 1st trimester
Most women who start to have cravings, have them in the very early on in the 1st trimester. 35.4% of these women stated that their cravings began very early in their 1st trimester.
What are the most common pregnancy cravings?
3. What are the most common pregnancy cravings?
In order from highest cravings to least craved
- Spicy Foods
- Ice cream
- Red meat
Although we hear that pregnant women crave pickles & ice cream, but they are craved less than 7%. 15% of women craved fruit during their pregnancy making it a higher craving than pickles.
Why do pregnant women crave pickles?
When does morning sickness start?
4. When does morning sickness start?
- 90% of women experience some form of morning sickness
- Most have it during their 1st trimester
- 54% begin at 5 or 6th week of pregnancy
Morning sickness, pregnancy nausea, doesn't have to happen in the morning and usually starts within the 1st trimester. 54% of women start their morning sickness between 5-6th week of pregnancy.
When does nausea start in pregnancy?
- As early as the 5th or 6th week of pregnancy in the 1st trimester
- 90% experience morning sickness
- Only 27.1% get only nausea
Pregnancy nausea has been termed morning sickness, and 54% of nausea symptoms start in the 5th or 6th week of pregnancy. 27.1% of pregnant women experience only nausea.
How early can morning sickness start?
- Morning sickness can start before you even know you're pregnant
- 22% sickness started at < 4 weeks
- 1 in 4 women experience it very early
Morning sickness can start even before you know you're pregnant and is the first pregnancy symptom. 22% of pregnant women experience morning sickness at or earlier than 4 weeks.
What is morning sickness like?
When does morning sickness peak?
5. When does morning sickness peak?
- Morning sickness peaks between the 8th and 12th week of pregnancy
- 28% sickness symptoms started 7-8 week
- Peaks along with hCG hormone
Morning sickness peaks between 8-12 weeks, and usually subsides by the 2nd trimester. 28% of morning sickness symptoms start at 7-8 weeks.
What are normal hCH levels in pregnancy?
When does morning sickness end?
6. When does morning sickness end?
- Majority of women end morning sickness with beginning of 2nd trimester
- More than half ends by 3 or 4th month
- 37% sickness ends in 2nd trimester
Although morning sickness can last up until you give birth, most will get relief after the 1st trimester. 37% of morning sickness ends during the 2nd trimester
When does morning sickness go away?
Morning sickness will usually go away during or after the second trimester, but for some unlucky ladies stays until delivery. 37% of morning sickness ends during the 2nd trimester
How long does morning sickness last?
- 30% sickness ended by 1st trimester
- 37% sickness ended during 2nd trimester
- 3% sickness ended during 3rd trimester
- 30% had morning sickness until birth
Although morning sickness can last all pregnancy, most will get relief after the 2nd trimester (67%). 30% of women experienced morning sickness up until giving birth. Most of these women have hyperemesis gravidarum also known as HG.
What is hyperemesis gravidarum (HG)?
What helps with morning sickness?
7. What helps with morning sickness?
NoMo Nausea Band stops 80% of nausea or vomiting in seconds! This 3:1 pregnancy morning sickness relief bracelet combines essential oil infused pressure to calm a mother’s stomach safely and naturally. Smelling the wristband will instantly stop vomiting, while the acupressure over 30 minutes will help to create anti-nausea hormones to stop the pregnancy induced nausea before the pregnant mama wakes up in the morning.
You can find NoMo Nausea on https://nomonausea.com and get 25% off with the coupon PUKE25.
@nomonauseaband How to stop acid reflux? This #tiktokdoc will tell you about an #acidrefluxremedy. #MAKEYOURMOVE to stop #GERD ♬ She Make It Clap - Soulja Boy
When do women start feeling the baby flutters?
8. When do women start feeling the baby flutters?
- 29% feel 1st baby flutter before week 17
- 47% feel baby 1st between 17-20 weeks
- 24% feel baby move after 20 weeks
- If it's your 1st pregnancy, will take longer
If it is your first pregnancy, it will probably take a little longer to start feeling your baby move. 28% of women feel baby flutters before 17 weeks of pregnancy.
Once you feel the little one moving, most want to know how to get the baby to move in utero?
How many women experience nesting?
9. Is “nesting” real in pregnancy?
- YES! It's a natural instinct most pregnant
- women feel prior to giving birth
- Nesting usually occurs in the 3rd trimester
- 46% of women nest hardcore
When start wanting to "nest" or getting the house prepared for the baby in the third trimester.
46% of women felt they nested hardcore versus 23% didn't at all.
Which trimester is the most difficult?
Let’s look at the pregnancy symptoms by trimesters to evaluate which one you think will be the hardest. Some of you will LOVE pregnancy and others will LOATH it. Don’t worry you will always find someone else who feels the same way.
10. Which trimester is the most difficult?
- Most women agree that the 2nd trimester is the easiest
- 45% felt 1st trimester was the most difficult
- 37% felt 3rd trimester was hardest
While only 3% of women thought all 3 trimesters were easy, most agree the 2nd trimester is better than the others. 45% of women believe the 1st trimester is the most difficult. And 13% of women thought all the trimesters were equally difficult.